To design a complete 18.75” – 20 KSI BOP Stack from a clean sheet of paper. Frequently designs are complicated by needing to deal with the historic sequence of design. As a result means this newly designed components must deal with the limitations of previously designed components. To start over allows a designer to question the design characteristics of every component. As a result this gives opportunities for fresh ideas.
This work on a new BOP stack has been based on more than 60 years experience with more than 150 U.S. patents issued, including patents on most parts of a subsea blowout preventer stack.
INNOVATIONS SEEN TO DATE:
20 KSI BOP STACK:
- A 20 K.S.I. blowout preventer stack as short and light as a conventional 15 K.S.I. blowout preventer stack.
- The option for all electric actuators is kept open, although not a part of this project.
- Substantially changed structure which helps clean up access to all components.
RAM BLOWOUT PREVENTER
- Bidirectional rams
- Rams with controlled pressure amplification
- Shear rams with face seals w/o bending the pipe
- Ram Locks
- Elimination of bonnet bolting
- 18.75” annular capable of 20 K.S.I.
- Bidirectional annular BOP
MISCELLANEOUS CONCEPTS RELATING TO:
- Wellhead Connector including automatic gasket retention
- Choke and Kill Connector which engage automatically without secondary operations.
- Accumulators with 150 gallon working capacity. Reduced area requirements and workable at all depths.
- Control systems including simplified connections between the LMRP and Lower BOP Stack and improved cable handling.
- Riser Connectors which allow rapid makeup and testing and as a result allows faster deployment.
- Flex Loops
- ROV interfacing, including 100% redundancy in controls by an ROV and as a result better overall safety.
- Manufacturing processes which aid in the reduction of the overall 20 KSI BOP stack size
- Continuous current measurement below rig at any depth and therefore better operating information.